The Application Process
Per our by-laws, membership is open to visual artists working in the media of painting, printmaking and/or sculpture. Applicants must demonstrate, through their work, both a high level of skill and commitment. We understand that many artists must make a living via methods outside the realm of art, which does not preclude anyone from membership. However, members must be professional artists with strong portfolios, exhibit history and excellent references.
To apply for a studio:
- A completed Application Form
- 10 JPEGS of recent work OR the URL to your web site. All work must be recent (within 3 years of application date)
- Artist Resume (include artistic activities with dates: education/training, exhibition history, professional experience, awards, grants, residencies, etc.)
- Artist Statement
- Two letters of recommendation from recognized art professionals who can attest that you are a working artist and would be a good community member as part of a cooperative.
- A statement explaining:
- why applicant wants to live here
- what applicant will contribute to the cooperative community
- what experience applicant has had working in community service, volunteerism, board participation or community leadership
Without the above information, applications will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
Applications are reviewed on a quarterly basis.
Please note: City of Boston artist certification is not a factor in eligibility for membership. We are not part of the City of Boston artist housing program and require our own application process.
If you prefer to mail your application, please download the application form and send all materials to:
Fenway Studios Inc.
30 Ipswich Street
Boston, MA 02215
Once a complete application has been reviewed by our Application Committee, the applicant will be notified of the results by email and will be added to the applicant pool. When a unit becomes available, artists in the Applicant Pool will be notified via email with description and details. Interested applicants will then be given the opportunity to view the unit and governing documents will be provided upon request.
Please note: It is the applicant’s responsibility to keep contact information updated. If the committee is unable to reach an applicant by email, he or she will be removed from the applicant pool. Acceptance into the applicant pool is not a guarantee of future membership.
After viewing the studio, applicants who are interested in proceeding will move to the next steps, which include:
- an interview
- a review of materials (updated resume, portfolio, etc.)
- reference checks
- After the review process, the Application committee submits a recommendation for approval by the Board of Directors, who has final say.
The finalist will be required to have a background check to ensure they meet financial qualifications. In addition there is a required CORI background check.
Following the successful completion of background/financial review, the finalist may proceed with the purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions
Questions? Contact email@example.com